It’s been almost exactly two years* but the wait is over: Electric Velocipede is open to submissions! Since it’s been so long, here’s a few highlights:
We now accept short fiction up to 40,000 words. Previously we only accepted up to 10,000 words. We prefer pieces in the 5,000 – 8,000 word range.
We strongly discourage simultaneous submissions (something you have on submissions w/another market at the same time).
The system will only accept one submission from you at a time. Please do not try to circumvent the system, or it may result in getting you banned.
Our average response time was less than a month for short fiction, about three days for poetry, but we have occasionally held a submission for as long as a two months. We know that there are many markets that turn work around faster than that.
We’re hoping to improve on our previous numbers; we have almost an entirely new reading staff now and we have no idea what sort of volume we’ll see. We might be quicker, we might be slower. Once we get our feet under us, I’m confident we’ll be able to do much better than a month.
Prior to this system, it typically took six months to a year to respond to a submission!
If you haven’t heard from us and you’re wondering what’s happening, we ask that you:
- Please do not send queries until at least a two-week period has passed. Please check this site for any important announcements first. Use your tracking number to check on the status prior to that.
- Do not send revisions to a submission unless specifically requested.
- Do not submit another story for a period of seven days after receiving a rejection.
- Please do not re-submit stories that have been rejected. Do not query for permission.
- Please do not argue with rejection slips.
If you are uncertain about anything above, we recommend following the most conservative interpretation.
Please go to our Submission Page to submit your story.
* We were last in the system 10/18/2010. It’s been long enough.
If you can, please donate using the button on the upper right. Anything you can do is appreciated.